Friday, December 25, 2015

Will Kling 1958 - 2009











The Online Obituary:
William "Will" Kling, 50, of Elizabethtown, KY, formerly of Pulaski, died Thursday at Baptist East Hospital in Louisville, KY. He was born September 16, 1958, in Oswego, the son of Walter C. and Marilyn Nicholson Kling. He graduated from Pulaski Central School in 1976. He also graduated from the State University of New York at Potsdam with a bachelor's degree. He served in the U.S. Army from 1978 until 1981. He had resided in Elizabethtown, KY, for the past 20 years. He was last employed by Charter Communications in Louisville, KY, as an IT tech since 2003. He also taught music at Central and West Hardin School in Elizabethtown, KY, for several years. Surviving: one sister, Heather A. Kling of Colorado Springs, CO; one uncle, William (Nancy) Nicholson of Mexico; one aunt, Doris Anne (Horace) Backus of Mexico; and several cousins. Funeral services will be 4 p.m. Tuesday at Foster-Hax Funeral Home, 52 Park Street, Pulaski. A calling hour will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. Tuesday, prior to the funeral, with a spring burial in Pulaski Cemetery.
Published in the Syracuse Post Standard on 2/9/2009"


I had this feeling, and it wasn't good.

When I created this page for my 8th ID Band mates, it was with the intention to reach out to anyone who, like me, might want to reconnect with those we served with.

It didn't seem to be like Will not to join in on all this online fun. I had written to him for a while after he left BK and returned to music school, but like everything else life took us in our own direction. Recent Google searches weren't bringing him up.

Now I know  why. Will had relocated to the Louisville, KY area and gotten on with his life. I was still looking for him back in upstate New York.

The above photo was taken in Nijmegen. During my first trip there, Will was the one who took me on the town for record shopping and a tall cold Heineken Pilsner. And then another. Etc.

Will loved beer, Mike Oldfield, and camaraderie. The many nights we spent in his barracks room sharing bottles of wine from gigs (and other stuff I can't mention) are ingrained in my brain as some of my fondest memories. 

I am sorry I couldn't find you while we were still sharing air here on earth, my friend. Your spirit will live on with me as long as I can hold on to it. 

Rest in peace, my friend.  This frosty one is for you.

Terry




No comments: